Monday, February 3, 2014

How I make yogurt in my dehydrator

I used to make yogurt like this because I didn't have a dehydrator, but then my whole world changed after my sweet husband found an Excalibur Dehydrator at a Goodwill for a shocking price.

Now I make yogurt in the dehydrator! I follow the instructions at Farm Bell Recipes.

I start with a gallon of milk and a big pot.

yogurt making 2014

You also need some leftover yogurt (make sure it is the kind with active cultures) and 5 quart mason jars if you are using the whole gallon of milk.

yogurt making 2014

I heat the milk on the stove to 180-185F... this takes 30 minutes or so on medium. Then remove it from the heat and let it cool to 110F, which takes FOREVER, but you don't want to chance killing your yogurt making buddies with too hot milk.

yogurt making 2014

I preheat my dehydrator to about 110F, Farm Bell says 105F the dehydrator says 115F - I pick the middle for no reason... The white lids are from Wal-Mart, are BPA free, and only cost a couple dollars... totally worth it!

yogurt making 2014

The yogurt goes in, and we wait 8 to 10 hours before moving it to the fridge to cool.

yogurt making 2014

mmmm. smoothies. A gallon of organic whole milk yogurt for $5 or $6, and lasts at least a month or so in the fridge. A delicious budget friendly treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, do not reproduce any content from this site without my written permission. You can reach me directly at lonestar(dot)knits(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thank you.